[FRIAM] AI art

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 09:39:39 EDT 2024

It would be useful if you were able to nudge the perspective from "simply" to something a little more formal. The toolchains for these self-attending transformer models allow for interactivity, including memory and "online" processing (allowing for the bot to sit alone, iterating over its input and output, gathering new data as needed, kneading old data as needed, etc.). I'm not suggesting we see many bots doing such so far. But some come close.

What you seem to be implying requires some sense of locality, a containment boundary for the human/bot, that cloud-based bots don't have. A little meat (or silicon) bag of skin running around in space, acquiring information from its trajectory through space provides such a build-up of a "story", a history, a Markovian provenance for their *next* expression, whether in interaction with another (like chess) or a seemingly novel piece of art (or testable scientific hypothesis).

Cloud-based bots could have such. What a trajectory through space define for each of us bags of meat is a set of stable/coherent constraints guiding which information we see (and the construal through our sensory-motor boundary and into our inertial learning machinery). Were the bots also given a well-formed set of training constraints that we humans could understand, we would begin thinking of them as autonomous agents, as opposed to oracles in the temple. And *then*, as autonomous agents, it would start to be interesting to see them interact with one another in the same way we might enjoy watching humans interact.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ