[FRIAM] the world is watching us...

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sat Jun 29 04:45:06 EDT 2024

In Germany politicians are horrified by the duel and argue that Biden should step back and retire. Both candidates are too old, and the mere thought that Trump - a convicted felon - might be elected again despite all he has done is horrifying. Maybe democrats could give Kamala Harris the chance to become the first female president? But I don't know how popular she is. If president Biden steps back now then democrats have enough time to pick a suitable candidate. He did well but is too old for a 2nd term. We can not risk Trump becoming president again. https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/joe-biden-gegen-donald-trump-deutsche-politik-entsetzt-ueber-tv-duell-a-ebf216eb-aa7b-4ce4-904f-e0794f948e4bScottish historian Niall Ferguson says the United States look increasingly like the late Soviet Union: senescent leaders who are far too old, a bloated military, a loss of morality and public cynicism about all institutions.https://www.thefp.com/p/were-all-soviets-now-J.
-------- Original message --------From: steve smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> Date: 6/29/24  12:06 AM  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: [FRIAM] the world is watching us... What are our Non-USA members hearing/thinking after last night's debate/debacle?I felt that Biden's Rally today was something necessary for him (and Jill and the DNC) to do to demonstrate that last night was some kind of anomaly, but it doesn't erase it, just cleanses the palate a little bit.   I've also been listening to the various "who should the DNC pick in his place?" talk which is 'natural' but maybe premature to do publicly?I did listen to an European channel this morning (can't remember if it was England or German, both have British accented commentators) and there was a report of a strong "hands-off" response from their leaders.   Moscow did pretty much exactly what you would expect... I haven't heard anything from the Middle East, Africa, India, China, Southeast Asia or South America yet, but I would expect the "free world" to be disturbed no matter how things unfold down the line.In the vernacular, I'd like to believe that we could "elect a ham sandwich" against the likes of Trump, but that is obviously a biased opinion... maybe we *should* but that isn't the same as *can*.I don't see how the "West" benefits in any way from another Trump term...   Russia, NK, China maybe?   BRICS in the large, maybe some kind of wash?   Central/South/MX America?   Can't look too good?-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservFridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriamto (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/