[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue May 5 19:26:50 EDT 2020

On 5/5/20 4:38 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> "We record/observe *all* your behavior down to the minutest level... "
> is impossible.

Some of my work (not so much these days) has been in light-field capture
as well as holography... so my metaphorical target domain comes from a
fairly specific technical perspective.

Of course "recording/observing *all* of your behaviour" is as impossible
as it is impossible to "record all impinging interfering light waves as
silver halide crystals on a photographic plate", so even a high-quality
hologram is just  a "fuzzy facsimile"... the point isn't fidelity as
much as it is that a lot more *qualities* of information are available
to BE recorded than we normally record (e.g. focusing nominally parallel
light rays reflected off an object through a lens onto a similar
photographic plate).   The hologram doesn't necessarily contain more
data (limited by the grain size of the silver-halide film and the
quality of the optical elements moving the light around as well as the
wavelength of the light) than a conventional photograph, it is just
*qualitatively* more interesting/complex than the impingement of a
planar wave onto a plane (or the integrated fusing of hundreds of such
captures from hundreds of lenses or pinholes) (think phased array radar
in the optical spectra).

I defer to your broader/deeper experience and awareness of conventional
psychology, but I suppose what I was alluding to is the difference
between a "gestalt" and a "diagnosis"?   A good intuitive therapist, NLP
practitioner, car-salesman, "psychic", etc.   (I contend) can "read" a
LOT more than a bureaucrat screening for a particular purpose.   I'm
simply borrowing Glen's reference to "holographically" to elaborate the
nature of that.

Meanwhile, I agree strongly with you that a great deal of your internal
state (second by second) is operationally opaque to me and everyone else
who might try to observe, including Marcus when he wires you up with
Neuralink hardware or locks you into an fMRI while you fantasize about
your next car or reminisce about a favorite meal/libation you enjoyed 37
years ago while apprehending the Aurora Borealis at winter solstice in a
northern Finland resort that overlooks the Russian Landscape across the
border.  I also know from my own musings and reminiscings that *my*
memories can vary from time to time (and from an objective observation
like a microphone or camera capturing those aspects of a situation).