[FRIAM] What Is the Real Coronavirus Toll in Each State? - The New York Times

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 6 11:30:32 EDT 2020

Nick -

https://rt.live/

helps to illustrate some of Rachel's hair-on-fire.   NOT because the
absolute numbers are (or will be) outrageous, but because the *rates*
are high.    Take a look at the states who have R0 > 1.0 ... all
midwest-plains.

If you have a small town with 0 cases, it is natural to not be "too
worried" even if there are three or four small towns within 20 miles who
have a case or two...   their relative social distance from the
international airport/high-density urban *hot spots* means they are
*late* to the party AND the relatively small *absolute* numbers means
their perception of the problem is lower.   AND in fact, they might be
able to tolerate higher rates BECAUSE of the perception.   If 5 people
in your community of 100 die of COVID19 maybe that is easier to accept
than if 5000 out of your 100,000 die?

I think these subtleties/subjectives that get lost in the raw statistics
are important but I don't know how to quantify them off the top of my head.

- Steve