[FRIAM] Interesting "take" on political correctness and triggering

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:24:44 EDT 2020

"If we were to truly take action to remedy the negative consequences of
race, we would have to do more than ‘celebrate difference;’ we would have
to demand inclusion and equity. In contrast to the definitions of diversity
that elite universities ascribe to, David S. Owen argues, “diversity is not
about helping those who face barriers because they do not fit the norm; it
is fundamentally about restructuring the social system so that the barriers
are eliminated.”24 Unfortunately, those barriers benefit those who are in
the best position to eliminate them. Although many have been fooled by the
surface-level changes in US universities, it is clear that America’s
economic and political elites have maintained a great deal of control over
these and other important institutions, which casts doubt on anyone’s
ability to change the ways in which they operate and the ideologies that
they spread."  Katherine Wolfenden, 2013.

------------------------------

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 4:14 PM <thompnickson2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This <https://jimruttshow.blubrry.net/feed/podcast/> is a recent podcast
> from the Jim Rutt Show which contained some new thoughts, for me.  It
> reveals an understanding of the current free speech crisis on campuses (the
> Oxford Union apparently voted to asked the British government to limit
> texts that may be taught on campus) as arising from the interaction between
> a model of polite discourse (avoidance of uncomfortable topics) with the
> wildly increased diversity of student bodies on the campuses of elite
> universities, meaning that the number of topics that can be discussed
> without making SOMEBODY uncomfortable has greatly decreased .   The last
> five minutes includes a discussion of the St. Johns model.  If you had only
> a few minutes to devote to it, you might skip there and then reel back if
> you want more context.  Easterners do NOT, repeat not, be put off by that
> “Howdy” thang at the beginning.  For me, there were LOTS of new thoughts,
> here. One significant model of classroom discourse that is NOT mentioned on
> the podcast is the “T-group” model, from the sixties.  Hmmm.
>

> Nick
>

> Nicholas Thompson
>
> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology
>
> Clark University
>
> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
>
> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609