[FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat May 8 01:53:57 EDT 2021

I have a friend who did a long stint in Ghana with the Peace Corps and
contracted Malaria during that time and was quite consumed by it by the
time he chose to return to the states.   He reported (when
Hydroxychloroquine came up as a possible remedy for COVID) that he went
through a number of high dose courses over (many?) months and while it
did help him significantly beat it down, it was not without severe side
effects (at those doses) and he *personally* believed that while it was
a likely candidate for helping with a wild-card virus like COVID-19 that
it was a risky thing to prescribe/use indiscriminately, if not for the
health of the patient, for the squeeze on the supply for the myriad
other uses it IS highly vetted for in the third world.   He seemed to
believe that if COVID-19 demand took more than a minimal number of doses
off the 3rd world supply (or raised the price), the net result would be
not-a-good-thing by humanitarian standards.

If SoAfrica, for example, boosted Quercetin production to meet your
presumed need for broad use there, then it may well be a good thing if
not taken in the doses that my friend had to take (apparently) to beat
Malaria down.  He believe he still has residual effects from both
Malaria (the illness) and Hyrdorxychloroquine (the cure) and wants to
believe that he is overall better for having taken it, but mostly
because he wants to believe that the docs were "doing their best", even
if the cure did more damage than the illness.

With that background I didn't have a problem with Trump taking the drug
or even acknowledging it *might* be helpful, but I interpreted his
endorsement as implying a "miracle cure" whilst paradoxically trying to
dismiss any worries about the Virus itself and the lack of positive
evidence the it was effective and the lack of negative evidence that the
side-effects may be worse than the illness it was intended to relieve.
His schtick on the topic was, for lack of a better term, "very
Trumpian".   That does not mean he was *dead wrong* about
hydroxychloroquine... but imagine if he'd decided to dump all the
support that went to vaccines into boosting production/delivery of
hydroxychloroquine?

Maybe South Africa will be a testbed for that strategy? Do you have any
idea how extensively Quercetin is being used for COVID in South
Africa?   Do you know if it is also used as a general-purpose anti-viral
for other viruses (as it apparently is in more equatorial regions) like
Malaria.  I just (re)read your post and realized you said "natural, over
the counter" so it sounds like neither high-doses nor widely
*prescribed* though maybe widely heralded/promoted?

In any case, I hope that your over-the-counter wards are helpful to you
and yours.   I'm an anecdotal fan of Zinc/C for helping me with at least
the symptoms of cold/flu even though I generally eschew all
supplements/medication (my Luddite thing).   I suppose I might dose with
those if I had COVID symptoms or exposure...   and assuming your
Quercetin is low dose, maybe even that, as long as it didn't line Donald
Trump's pockets of course...

As inefficient as it is for every country/region to have a modesty
different approach to a pandemic like this, I'm not inclined to vilify
those who ended up "guessing wrong".   It is easy to armchair
quarterback (in hindsight) the decisions made in other regions of the
world with significantly different circumstances.   I'm guessing (but
don't know) that South Africa's infection and death rates may be closer
to Australia than India?  I also don't know if your lack of vaccines is
a global supply problem, a government policy to not pursue them as
heavily, or some unexplained coincidence?