[FRIAM] “Don’t they have grandchildren?” was The case for universal basic income UBI

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sat May 22 14:25:56 EDT 2021

Glen is right. I was quoting McKibbon writing about Weintrobe. Of course I
did that because I thought that see made an important point. Here's the
extract again.

 "Weintrobe writes that people’s psyches are divided into caring and
uncaring parts, and the conflict between them “is at the heart of great
literature down the ages, and all major religions.” The uncaring part wants
to put ourselves first; it’s the narcissistic corners of the brain that
persuade each of us that we are uniquely important and deserving, and make
us want to except ourselves from the rules that society or morality set so
that we can have what we want. “Most people’s caring self is strong enough
to hold their inner exception in check,” she notes, but, troublingly, “ours
is the Golden Age of Exceptionalism.”  ...

 I found this interesting because it related back to our earlier discussion
of reciprocity. If it is in our nature to have these two warring parts of
our psyches, there is probably no hope that the "caring part" will ever
fully triumph over the "uncaring part" and reliably hold the uncaring part
in check. Presumably, this has to do with evolution and the need for both
parts for successful long-term survival of a species.

If you buy that, and I think it's right, then what kind of society can be
constructed of organisms with these two components that drive their
behavior? That's the question we've been struggling with both in this
discussion and over the ages. The answer presumably has to do with as much
freedom as possible but freedom reigned in by enforced rules that prevent
our uncaring parts from destroying that society.

The neoliberalism discussion has to do with the observation that our
society has been moving in the direction of giving the uncaring parts too
much power.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science