[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Sep 11 15:31:59 EDT 2022

On 9/11/22 12:56 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> Was just driving the backroads of Oregon in a Tesla on autopilot.
>
> Tesla autopilot knows a lot.  For example, it understands the
> difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle.   On one occasion it
> mistook the sun low in the sky for a large yellow streetlight.  When
> it is confused it simply requires you to take the wheel.   While it
> never seems to miss speed signs, it will respect the driver’s speed
> setting.  Autopilot still requires the driver to check in frequently,
> so it is mostly still a novelty.  One thing it is better at than I am,
> is identifying deceleration.   It warns only if you don’t see it, not
> if you do.

I've a friend who made the point a while back that humanity's history
with technology has been to consistently build things to replace
themselves...

One could argue that our technology has been to *augment* rather than
*replace* and yet the net result is to displace?  Tooth and Claw becomes
flaked stone-cum surgical steel/ceramic - blade/chainsaw.   Fur and
leathery hide becomes bearskin robe-cum temperature-regulated kevlar
body-armor.  Calloused Feet becomes latex-dipped runners cum
Self-Driving Tesla Gyrocopter.  Memory and oral tradition becomes clay
tablet/quipu - cum global interwebs connecting IoQT (internet of Quantum
Things)?

I have had a few brushes with modern automobiles (rentals), advanced
situational awareness sensors but no *actuators*...  And yet even my
first Schwinn circa 1964 was advanced enough that once I was "trained to
it", the bicycle could "steer itself" almost as if it were reading my mind.