[FRIAM] Why the Mystery of Consciousness Is Deeper Than We Thought

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Fri Jul 5 12:32:38 EDT 2024

Maybe the key is as Pieter said to consider it as an emergent complex phenomena. On the one hand a body able to move in a physical world. On the other hand a mind which is able to think in the mental world of language. Animals live only in the former, the physical world. LLMs (large language models) live just in the latter, the world of language. We live in between in both. I think there is no reason why AIs could not do the same in the near future. -J.
-------- Original message --------From: Frank Wimberly <wimberly3 at gmail.com> Date: 7/5/24  2:34 AM  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Why the Mystery of Consciousness Is Deeper Than We Thought But they (AI) won't have consciousness as I, and presumably you, experience it.  I have long argued that a reductionist explanation of that consciousness is not possible.  Does that mean I accept a religious explanation?  Not consciously.---Frank C. Wimberly140 Calle Ojo Feliz, Santa Fe, NM 87505505 670-9918Santa Fe, NMOn Thu, Jul 4, 2024, 5:26 PM Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:I don't get Philip Goff: first we send our children 20 years to school, from Kindergarten to college and university, to teach them all kinds of languages, and then we wonder how they can be conscious. It will be the same for AI: first we spend millions and millions to train them all available knowledge, and then we wonder how they can develop understanding of language and consciousness...https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-mystery-of-consciousness-is-deeper-than-we-thought/-J.-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/