[FRIAM] Haboob in southern NM / Mexico

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jun 20 11:31:19 EDT 2024

without Owen here to keep us on track with thread hygiene I'll
self-report... I realize I am often guilty of thread-bending if not
outright thread-jacking...  what is the difference? Haboob/Derecho,
Jack/Bend?  Inquiring minds wanna know...

following up on the *weather* aspect of this thread, my short acute
windstorm experience yielded about 6 power glitches that lasted less
than 5 seconds each.  I'm guessing the wind severity direction was
enough to actually cause some nearby overhead high voltage wires to come
close enough to touch/arc?   I know dense smoke can yield (plasma
formation) arcing?   The system apparently recovered very quickly which
is unusual in our poorly maintained COOP.    The Cerro Grande fire was
triggered by a (windfall?) downed powerline as I remember it.